Today is the 41st Anniversary of our first date. Bill
took me to the Indianapolis Auto Show January 7, 1972. In 1953 a new car entered the American auto scene;
The Chevrolet Corvette. The same year
Bill was born. It became his favorite
car. In 1972 as we walked around the
Auto Show looking at all the new cars being introduced that year, we spent a
good bit of time at the Corvette display.
It was Bill’s dream to one day own a Corvette. Being the practical people that we are, we
never made that dream happen for him.
Over the years Bill started a joke that we shared because we couldn’t
buy a Corvette. Every time he saw a Corvette,
he would quietly say “Stupid Vette”. The
quiet matter of fact way he said it was hilarious. We could be in the middle of a conversation
and there it was – “stupid vette”.
For his 50th birthday I tried to figure out a way
to make his dream come true, but was unable to do so. One of my sisters however sent him a 50th Anniversary Corvette Christmas Ornament. One day he came home from
work driving a Corvette. A friend had a very beautiful one on his car lot for
sale. As Bill drove by the car lot
headed home from work he saw the car
and had to stop to take a look. He couldn't help but to ask if he could take it for a drive. Bill drove it to pick our daughter up from
high school before returning it that day. One
evening we were out for dinner with friends.
As we were walking to our cars after dinner we walked by a Corvette in
the parking lot. Bill didn’t say
anything so I decided to say “stupid vette” for him. The husband of the couple we were with said
“What did you say?” So, I had to explain
the comment as he and his wife stopped and got into their Corvette. I am still learning to use better judgment…
I’ll not share all the details of our first date here as I
have written that story in my book. Needless to say it was the beginning of a
very special life long friendship and love story. We didn’t start celebrating the anniversary
of our first date until we had been married 15 years when Bill surprised me
with a trip back to Indianapolis
to go to the Auto Show again. One of my
sisters kept our children for a night while Bill and I went out to dinner, to
the Indianapolis Auto Show and spent the night in a beautiful downtown
hotel. He also surprised me with a
carriage ride through downtown Indy.
P.S. Today just before lunch I received a beautiful flower arrangement delivered to me at work from my precious daughter. I didn't see the delivery man until he reached the reception window where I was sitting. I looked up as he said my name. I feeling came over me I have never felt before in my life. It was almost as though my heart stopped. No one knew what the occassion was. I've only been working there for a month. I was bombarded by questions from the staff and even patients regarding the ocassion. I could barely get the words out of my mouth; but thankfully the other receptionist wrapped her arms around me before I could run away. Another thankful in all of this was that it was lunch time and within a short time I was able to escape to my car and leave the office for awhile. I had really thought I was doing well today...oh well...This sweet gesture of flowers for me was something Bill would have done and it was so special and beautiful.
P.S. Today just before lunch I received a beautiful flower arrangement delivered to me at work from my precious daughter. I didn't see the delivery man until he reached the reception window where I was sitting. I looked up as he said my name. I feeling came over me I have never felt before in my life. It was almost as though my heart stopped. No one knew what the occassion was. I've only been working there for a month. I was bombarded by questions from the staff and even patients regarding the ocassion. I could barely get the words out of my mouth; but thankfully the other receptionist wrapped her arms around me before I could run away. Another thankful in all of this was that it was lunch time and within a short time I was able to escape to my car and leave the office for awhile. I had really thought I was doing well today...oh well...This sweet gesture of flowers for me was something Bill would have done and it was so special and beautiful.
No comments:
Post a Comment