A
dear friend Cheryl recently came to my house to help me get my yard back in
shape for spring. We became friends
after my husband died. Her husband has
also had a lung transplant. She has been
such a blessing to me through this difficult time in my life. I don’t have to
explain the mixed up emotions or the complexities of daily life because she is
living now what I lived for many years.
She doesn’t have to explain her struggles to me, because I have been
there.
Today
Cheryl was ready to jump in and start moving bricks and plants to help me
simplify and streamline my yard care responsibilities. I had decided to remove the rose garden from
my yard. I had already started removing
bricks that we needed to use on my driveway.
So, this was a moving forward from that point. Well, I thought it was.
Cheryl
had only seen the rose garden from a distance; it seemed it was always covered
with leaves. Today was no exception; it was
again covered in leaves from last fall.
I had removed most of the roses and replace them with peonies hoping
there would be enough sunlight to allow them to grow as there really wasn’t
enough sunlight for roses. The only
roses that remained were climbing roses on arbors around the edge of the rose
garden.
Cheryl
suggested that we prepare the area of the yard where we were going to move the
plants. It too was covered with leaves
and weeds along with groundcover roses growing there. As we cleared out the leaves I picked them up
with the lawn mower. While I finished mowing up the leaves Cheryl decided to
get started moving brick from the rose garden.
She filled the wheel barrel with bricks and together we rolled it to the
front yard where I planned to line the flowerbeds with the brick. It took both
of us to pull the load up the incline to the front yard. After taking two loads of brick to the front
it was time to begin moving some of the daylilies that bordered the rose garden
to their new home. I returned to finish mowing leaves. Cheryl tried to push the
shovel into the ground to begin to dig up the lilies. She kept tapping and
tapping along the edge of the daylilies trying to find soil. Then she yelled across the yard, “Is there
more brick on this side?” Yes, I responded.
Tap, tap, tap…Cheryl continues to look for soil, but finds more brick.
“Is there a brick path that goes around the rose garden too?” She asked. “Yes, I
explained; the brick path goes all the way around the half circle.” She was
astonished to discover there was likely twice as much brick to move than she
had originally thought. She stopped trying to dig right at that moment. “Where
are you going to put all of this brick?” “This is a lot of brick,” she
exclaimed! She pulled back some of the leaves uncovering the full width of the
path next to the day lilies. When she
saw the pattern of the brick, the width and length of the path she exclaimed
“This is beautiful! You can’t take this out! By this time I had finished picking up the
leaves with the lawn mower and joined her in the rose garden. “You put too much work in this to just take
it out.” As Cheryl continued to uncover
the paths and look at the brick work in the garden, I could no longer hold back
my tears. I had tried to remain detached from the situation and face the practicality
of removing the rose/peony garden. I had told Cheryl some of the story behind
the rose garden but not the whole story.
She suggested that we finish pulling the remaining weeds from the garden
and clean out the leaves. She also
stated “You just can’t take this garden out, it is too special”. We began removing the rest of the leaves from
the rose garden, and tearfully told Cheryl the rest of the story.
The
Anniversary Rose Garden
Bill
and I always had a project in progress.
It didn’t matter if it was inside or outside; we were always working on
something. Nearly our whole married life
I had wanted to have a rose garden.
There was an area in our yard that seemed to be a great spot to have a
rose garden. It had a good bit of sun at
the time and I came up with a plan for a half circle rose garden. My sweet husband agreed to do this for our wedding anniversary. We planned our rose garden during the winter
months. For Christmas Bill gave me a
special stone to be placed in the center path of the rose garden. It was a glass cardinal set in concrete. Our half circle would be divided into three
sections and would have brick paths dividing each section; a brick path
stretching across the top of the garden and a brick path bordering the outside
of the garden. At the beginning of each
brick path coming into the garden we would place an arbor with climbing roses. This
meant that there would be 4 rose arbors. Bill was so indulgent of my planning
for this anniversary garden. I carefully
choose all of the roses that would be in the rose garden. I researched for hours at a time finding the
most fragrant and colorful varieties I could find. There was enough space in the garden to have
4 rose bushes in each triangle. Instead
of having 4 rose bushes in each triangle I read that peonies grow very well
with roses. So I planned to place 3 rose
bushes and one peony in each triangle.
Around the border of the rose garden we put planting beds. This gave us a place to put the rose
arbors. In the planting beds we
transplanted day lilies from another area of the yard. In the center of each of these planting beds
we placed one peony. One of the peonies
came from my childhood home.
Bill’s
lung function had declined to the point that he could not do active things
without having to use supplemental oxygen.
Each time we worked on the rose garden he would put his portable oxygen
tank in an old denim backpack, turn it up high enough so he would not get short
of breath moving around and he would get to work. When he ran out of oxygen, he would fill up
the tank and get back to work. Sometimes it would be very hot outside. This would cause the portable oxygen tank to
freeze up. Whenever this happened he
would have to stop working until the tank thawed. We also had a young man helping us move and
lay the brick. The rose garden was on a
slope which made planning for the brick a bit more complicated. Bill studied the amount of slope and
carefully planned how much brick we needed and how the bricks would be
laid. He planned every part of it,
implementing my design. Once we finished
putting in the brick paths and planted the day lilies, we were finally able to
plant the roses. Then we started working
on the arbors.
For
the rose arbors, we looked online for patterns to build rose arbors. Bill reviewed and researched many different
designs and then designed the arbors for our
rose garden. He drew the arbors on graph
paper so we would have a plan to follow. We then built the arbors together and
I did the priming and painting. Once the
arbors were finished, we carefully moved them to the backyard where we dug
holes for each arbor and set them in place in the ground. To make sure the
garden had enough water, we had a drip irrigation system added. Every rose was as fragrant as I had hoped and
dreamed they would be.
So,
I guess the rose garden stays. Cheryl told me that she would come over each year and help me clear the leaves and weeds from the garden. Now we will be putting back all the brick that has been removed and restoring the garden to what it once was. One of
the arbors has been destroyed this spring.
A tree or large limb fell on it.
I went out in the yard one day and there was the arbor – in pieces on
the ground. Whatever had hit it had been
removed, leaving only the pieces of my heart.
No comments:
Post a Comment