I
visit my husband’s gravesite more than I thought I would and I put fresh
flowers there on our “special” occasions during this first year. He isn’t there;
he is in heaven with the Lord Jesus Christ, so my flowers don’t mean anything
to him but they are just for me and my grieving soul.
The
other day I stopped by his gravesite for a few minutes and discovered that the
artificial flowers had been removed and the vase removed. My unexpected response was that the sight
literally took my breath away; it still does. I was stunned. Why would anyone do such a hurtful thing? It is not uncommon to find flowers strewn
around shredded and damaged by lawn care workers or following strong winds and
I assumed this had happened to my flowers; but the flowers had been removed and
tossed next to the next grave and I found that the vase had not been removed
but turned upside down into the grave marker. This was not just a careless random act; it
was purposeful. I was thankful the
flowers were there (although damaged) and that the vase was also there. At least I could put everything back in
place. The cemetery office was closed so I couldn’t talk to anyone at the
office that day. I was able to go there when
they were open report the problem. I
appreciated their kind, thoughtful response.
Now
that the “first year” has past, I find myself having more paperwork and details
to complete. As I have been working on
these “final” things, I have unexpectedly found myself exhausted and deeply saddened;
the same feelings I had in the early days after his death. The sense of being so very alone has
returned. I am reminded that these are
things he would easily take care of
and understand all that needed to be done.
I on the other hand struggle, hoping and praying I am doing everything
correctly and fearing what will happen if I make a mistake. I have gone from
one government department to another, standing in line only to be told I need
to go to another department first and then bring more completed paperwork back
and of course pay more money. After
three hours of going here and there I am still not finished. One more trip and it will be finished. I feel as though I am wiping my husband from
my life; removing him from my past and future.
This feeling is very nearly as awful as his death; if not more. I am systematically removing him from every
part of everything we shared together. I know this is part of life. This is how we must go on and move on with life. The dismantling of a person’s life is so very
sad and painful. Bill and I did this
together when a couple of his family members died. It was sad then too. At least we could do it together.
Tomorrow
will be better. The sadness of this last
week will gradually fade and it will be better once again. I met a 90 year old gentleman the other
day. His wife died three months ago. The pain and sadness of his loss surrounds his
fragile soul. They had been married over 60 years. We talked for awhile and I was able to
encourage him to hold on to God’s promises to take care of him and give him the
strength to live on. In the end he said
this: “One word continues to come to
mind everyday; ‘gone’”…..he is right…The
finality of death is so painful and isolating; but we have hope in the promises
of God that we will see our loved one again when we join them in heaven.
Diane,
ReplyDeleteThis is Leon Rollison. I don't know if you remember me or not but I worked for PSA for two years after retiring from Michelin. I just read your post on Google+ and was absolutely shocked to learn of Bill's death. Even more so to learn it was over one year ago.
Bill was always fair to me and it was always a pleasure working for him.
I am so sorry for your loss but I know that Bill was a good Christian and you have to know that he is enjoying being in Heaven with our Lord God and His Son Jesus.
He is now living in a glorified body, free of pain and suffering. Just think of the glorious sights he must be experiencing and the conversations he must be having with the Old Testament and New Testament Saints.
I know he is looking down on you and watching over you. Remember, every time you find a penny lying on the ground, that is a sign of his watching over you and his love for you.
May you feel God's and Bill's love and blessings for the rest of your life.
You will always be in my prayers.
Leon Rollison
lrollison@charter.net
(864) 314-3319