Sunday, December 9, 2012

Another First....


I have always loved celebrating Christmas.  Although we don’t know the exact date Our Lord and Savoir Jesus Christ was born, I appreciate the opportunity to remember and celebrate His birth with our family and friends.

One of our family traditions is setting up and decorating our Christmas Trees together.  Over the years the kids have moved out and have their own lives, so Bill and I continued to share this tradition together. The day after Thanksgiving we began our decorating adventures. We used to spend hours setting up the trees, checking the lights and unpacking all the ornaments.  The family was always frustrated with me because I wrapped each ornament individually or in its original packaging so they wouldn’t get broken.

This year it is just me; Bill is gone, why decorate?  I can’t pretend everything is still the same as it was, because everything is different.  Every part of everything in my life is changed forever and can never be the same as it was again.  Does that mean I have to give up EVERYTHING we enjoyed together?  No part of my adult life has been without Bill, so how do I make this particular first work.  I decided to go ahead and decorate our trees and try to find some pleasure in this time of remembering.

I started out a week ago with our family room tree.  Although sad decorating it alone, I got through it.  It doesn’t look like it does when Bill and I did it together.  But I did it!  Last night I finally decided to set up and decorate the living room tree.  The warmth that fills our home at Christmas time has not cooperated this year; the warm sense of the Lord’s presence and the sense of family is just emptiness. Maybe when I come out of the fog.  I wasn’t however prepared for my experience last night.  Of course there is more to the story.

We have had two Christmas trees for many years.  We started this tradition when our children were young.  We lived in a split level home which made it easy to have two trees.  We had our traditional family tree in the living room, decorated with our family ornaments saved through the years.  Our second tree was just for the kids.  It was a much smaller tree than our upstairs tree. Each year the kids would decide how it would be decorated.  We would decide on our plan and them make all the ornaments and paint them if needed.  One year we made macaroni angels and covered the whole tree with them.  Another year we painted wooden teddy bears.  Another year we painted wooden Santa boots.  During these years we would drive into the mountains to a Christmas tree farm and cut down our upstairs tree.  Then we found a neighborhood gentleman who grew small Christmas trees in his back yard.  We all looked forward to our tree adventure each year.  It was a wonderful family tradition.

After our children were grown we moved to a new home.  We still had our formal living room and family room and wanted to continue having the two trees.  Since the kids were not around to decorate the kids tree any more we decided to do something different.  Bill was no longer able to make the trip to the mountains and cut down a tree so we bought two artificial trees.  We bought a large tree for the living room and a small tree for the family room.

We continue to decorate the living room tree with all the family ornaments and decorations.  For the family room tree however we did something special.  My sister had crocheted clothespin angels for us many years ago; one angel for each member of our family using a different color thread.  I thought it would be fun to have a whole tree of her clothespin crocheted angels in white.  The only problem with this was that I don’t crochet very well.  So, I asked my sister if she would be willing to crochet a bunch of the angels for our family room tree.  She had taught her daughters to crochet, so the three of them spent a couple of weeks crocheting my white clothespin angels.  They made 75 clothespin angels and a separate crocheted angel topper.  Some of the angels are trimmed with gold thread.  Each angel is a different pattern.  After ten years we still have our angel tree.

Last evening I determined to set up and decorate our living room tree.  I wanted to have some sense of “normal”.  Impossible, but I had to try.

I hauled the tree downstairs piece by piece.  In spite of its weight I was able to get it set up on my own.  A couple of strands of lights didn’t work on this pre lit tree.  After some work I was able to get most of them working and decided to turn the tree to hide the lights that I couldn’t fix. (Normally, I would never do this.  I would have added a new strand).  After a little break I returned to begin the decorating.  First, I had to get the angel on top of the tree.  I tried to use our three step step stool. At 5 ft tall, this was definitely not going to work. I hauled in our 8 ft. ladder and was able to easily reach the top and place our angel on top.  Her lighted bouquet is dim this year.  I left it that way since this Christmas is a little on the dim side.  (Normally, I would have replaced the bulb since it lights up her beautiful face each time her had moves forward).   The next step is wrapping the tree with a small blossomed white poinsettia garland.  Bill used to put this garland on the tree as I guided until it was just right.  This year I used the 8 ft ladder and worked my way around the tree with each piece.  It doesn’t look the same.  Nothing I did made it look right, so I moved on.

Nothing could have prepared me for what I experienced next. (ok, maybe a few minutes of thinking ahead might have helped).

I opened the first tote of Christmas ornaments.  The flood gates were opened.  My entire married life was staring back at me from those neatly packed shoes boxes.  Every event, Sunday school ornament, and trip was there.  I didn’t know if I could continue.  I had not thought about what was in those boxes before I opened them.  I had set my mind to the task and got started.  Now I was paralyzed.  I couldn’t see through the tears, but I had to do it.  I had to take a step and turn the pain into something different; not just for me but for our family.  (ok, turns out it is probably just for me).  I want to share these special memories with our precious grandchildren so they can remember their PaPa.  I can tell them the stories of where each of the ornaments came from; a different part of our lives.  I can also teach them about the Lord and His Love for us. To help fill the void I turned on some Christmas music in the family room and turned it up loud enough to fill the whole house. From the hand made woolly wrapped Sunday school lambs, styrofoam school puppy dogs heads, and nativity scenes to Barbie from my childhood and the Corvette for Bill’s 50th birthday, I hung them all on the tree.

Each year after decorating the tree, Bill and I would turn off all the lights in the room and sit on the sofa and enjoy the quiet beauty filling the room from the lights on the tree.  The shiny, glittering ornaments sparkled as the lights bounced through the limbs.  No words were needed.  This year, I turned the lights off in the room and sat on the sofa alone.  One thought after another raced through my head remembering the many Christmas’ we shared together.

Christmas can never be the same.  I don’t expect it can ever be better than it ever was.  It can however be good and special in a new way.  Our family will be together and will rest in the Lord's care as we take time to remember and reflect.




Music by The Carpenters, Christmas Portrait


No comments:

Post a Comment